Friday, November 7, 2008

Sigh

The election has come and gone. History was made on November 4th 2008 when Americans voted in the first black president. We all knew he would win. If you are a conservative you hoped he wouldn't, but prepared yourself for the worst. If you are a liberal(you probably don't read my blog anyways) but you already knew he would win and you were trying to think of how you celebrate his victory. To be honest, I was really bummed he won. I could go on and on and explain the many reasons why I don't think Obama should be in office, but whats done is done. We as republicans need to use this time to rebuild ourselves and show what true conservatism is, without shoving it down eachothers throats. We need fresh republicans with new ideas based on the core principles that this country was founded on. It will be interesting to see what the next 4 years will be like. I'm sure conservatives will be watching with baited breath, waiting to point their fingers and say I told you so..who knows? Maybe Obama will surprise us. I'm holding my breath.

I was convicted when I read this the other day from Joshua Harris(author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye), I needed this reminder..

On Sunday I told my church that after the election half the country would be elated, confident that all would be right in the world because their candidate won; the other half dejected and sure that the world had ended because their candidate lost. But Christians should realize that both sides are wrong. If you voted for Obama, he isn't worthy of your ultimate hope. And if you didn't vote for him, don't despair as though Jesus isn't reigning over the world. Those who call Jesus their Lord can be filled with a quiet peace and confidence in all seasons. Our Savior is never in the White House. Our Savior is Jesus. We must turn to him with joy and faith. And as we do let's pray for our new President Elect that God would give him wisdom and grace to lead our nation in the days to come. My friend Justin Taylor shares the following helpful words: No matter who you voted for--or whether you voted at all--it's important to remember that, as President, Barack Obama will have God-given authority to govern us, and that we should view him as a servant of God (Rom. 13:1, 4) to whom we should be subject (Rom. 13:1, 5; 1 Pet. 2:13-14).
  • We are to pray for Barack Obama (1 Tim. 2:1-2).
  • We are to thank God for Barack Obama (1 Tim. 2:1-2).
  • We are to respect Barack Obama (Rom. 13:7).
  • We are to honor Barack Obama (Rom. 13:7; 1 Pet. 2:17).





No comments: